Inspiration and Ideas to get your home ready for Spring and Summer
We seem to have been waiting for Spring to arrive forever….. Although Spring Officially started on the 20th March and the clocks changed on the 24th March its now almost 2 weeks on and the weather is still toying with us. We get one day of hopeful sunshine and then torrential rain.
But hang in there, warmer days are on their way and I’m loving the lighter evenings aren’t you.
In years gone by everyone seemed to do an official Spring Clean when everything was cleaned and scrubbed. We don’t tend to spring clean these days that was something that was associated with my nanas era, but there are things that you can do to clear out the winter blues and breathe some spring life into your home.
Here are some ideas for you
Bedroom & Bathrooms
- Give your bathrooms and showers and good scrub, polish all mirrors and chrome taps.
- Buy some new fluffy towels for bathroom
- Add some summer fresh candles
- Strip all the beds, open all the windows to give your mattresses an airing and clean thoroughlyHow to deodorise your mattress
- To deodorise your mattress sieve baking soda over your mattress and leave for 30 minutes. The baking soda will absorb any odors and neutralise them but it won’t remove stains. After you have left it for 30 minutes then hoover with upholstery attachment.
- If you add a couple of drops of essential oil such as lavender oil to the baking soda pre-siving and they will enjoy a few nights of the aroma.
- Add new Mattress Protectors to beds, buy new pillows and pillow protectors.
- Buy New Spring Bedding or just add freshly laundered summer sheets and bedding.
- Over the next few months as the weather improves you may wish to change your duvet to a lighter tog, but it may be a bit too cold at the moment.
- Clear out your wardrobes, donate & throw out old clothes that don’t fit anymore. Put your winter clothes to oneside of your wardrobe, some people have summer & winter clothes which they swop over at the start of the winter & summer season, but the weather in the UK is so varied I like to keep my jumpers handy.
Turn all your hangers around so they are back to front and as you wear something put the hanger back the right way, then after 6 months look at all the items that you haven’t worn and the hangers are still the wrong way round. Review if you will ever wear them in the future and if not get rid of.
- Clear out the fridge and freezer.
- De-clutter your kitchen cupboards, bring out any summer accessories such as picnic sets that you may need to be more accessible over the coming months.
- Clean carpets especially in Hallways and entrances.
- Brighten up any paintwork.
- Plan any projects to rejuvenate any tired furniture.
- De-clutter any rooms in your home that have become stuffed with things over the winter.
- Look at your curtains, if you have any that are heavy and dark then consider changing them to lighter fabrics that will let the light in more.
Would your room look better with a feature wall, take a look at my range of wallpapers, click on the image to the left.
Look at your furniture can you breathe new life into any pieces by taking on a new painting project.
Make a point to replace all smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Shampoo all your Carpets
- Clean the windows, this will allow maximum light into your rooms.
- Clean all blinds
- Write a list of all jobs you want to do, organising photos,
Look at adding some Spring accessories such as spring cushions and summer throws. Checkout my range of Handmade Spring Cushions which are designed and made by myself. Please contact me if you are looking for anything specific
Add Spring flowers to your home to add colour and fragrance, tulips, springs of forsythia
Add greenery and foliage to your home not only is foliage a big trend for this year it adds oxygen to your home.
- Look at Painting your Front Door
- Revamp your hallway as the entrance to your home, freshen up paintwork, lighter colours, add mirrors, lamps for dark corners, mirrors to help a smaller space look bigger by bouncing light around the room.
- Keep your eye out for my next blog on creating Kerb Appeal
- Tidy up the garden area, pick up leaves and mow the lawn for the first time.
- Clean your gutters
- Clean your windows outside as well as all the suffixes
- Clean paving stones
- Paint Fences
- Clean your BBQ
Don’t forget your car.
Keep in Touch on our Social Media Platforms:
Thank-you for reading